To become a USA Volleyball certified referee, there are four core components that have to occur every year – membership, clinic, exam, and practical.
- Become a member of the New England Region of USA Volleyball at http://www.yankee.org/memberships/membership-application
- To referee juniors volleyball events, you will also need to have a USAV background check done, which is a checkbox in the membership form.
- Once you are a member, log into the USAV membership database (WebPoint) at https://webpoint.usavolleyball.org/
- Sign up for the free NE18_201 NERVA New Referee Clinic by clicking on USA Volleyball Events|Region Clinics|Region Ref/Score Clinics.
- You may also want to sign up for USAV’s Exam Prep module (NE18_299 Cram Session). This is a free exam prep program where you take sample exams as many times as you want. Focus areas: Net and Center Line, Scoring, Net Play, Sanctions, Judgment, Libero, and Scoring.
- You will get both an on-screen confirmation and email confirmation with a link to USA Volleyball Academy.
- Always go to USAV Academy directly through Webpoint. You will not have to enter any other login credentials.
- Complete the program by viewing all of the course materials.
- A 50-question referee exam is part of the course materials. You may take it open book if you like. Passing is an 84%. Please review the rule references for the questions you missed. Take the exam until you have achieved a passing score.
- Once you have completed the coursework and you are comfortable as a first and second referee, contact Eric Ngai (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange to be evaluated at a tournament.
Those are the To Dos.
What we can’t do online is help you practice and get skilled at blowing a whistle, knowing the sport, and actually DOING the job. There is no substitute for time on task. This is something you need to do in venues that are convenient to you and your life. If you need some help finding locales, please drop a line.