To become a USA Volleyball certified referee, there are four core components that have to occur every year – membership, clinic, exam, and practical.
The specifics for becoming certified during the 2019-2020 season has not yet been established, but the
- Become a member of the New England Region of USA Volleyball at http://www.yankee.org/memberships/membership-application
- To referee USAV events, you will also need to have pass a USAV background check and complete the SafeSport Training as mandated by the USOC.
- Once you are a member, log into the USAV membership database.
- Register for the free NERVA New Referee Clinic.
- Complete the program by viewing all of the course materials.
- A 50-question referee exam is part of the course materials. You may take it open book if you like. Passing is an 84%. Please review the rule references for the questions you missed. Take the exam until you have achieved a passing score.
- Once you have completed the coursework and you are comfortable as a first and second referee, contact Eric Ngai (email@example.com) to arrange to be evaluated at a tournament.
Those are the To Dos.
What we can’t do online is help you practice and get skilled at blowing a whistle, knowing the sport, and actually DOING the job. There is no substitute for time on task. This is something you need to do in venues that are convenient to you and your life. If you need some help finding locales, please drop a line.